Recipe Post: Aztec Salad
Hi everyone! As promised, here’s a recipe that I modeled after something in my school’s cafeteria. Aztec salad! It’s comprised of a corn and black bean salad, roasted red peppers, and grilled chicken, all served over lettuce.
- First, a while before you actually make the salad, marinate some boneless, skinless chicken breasts in lime juice and cilantro.
- Later, preheat your grill to whatever temperature you grill chicken at (we set ours on high to preheat and then reduce to medium to grill). You will also roast the peppers at the same time the chicken is on the grill.
- Grill the chicken and roast the peppers (my mom puts them in a paper bag) until they are done by whatever method of grilling you like to use. Everyone’s different.
- While the chicken and peppers are cooking, mix together a corn and bean salad consisting of2 cups corn kernels
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 tomato, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1/4 cup diced red onion
2 tsp cumin
the juice of one lime
Just mix all the ingredients together. If you want to make this in advance and chill, that’s fine too.
- When the chicken is at your desired doneness and the peppers are nice and soft, remove them from the grill. Cut the chicken breast into strips and the peppers as well. You can peel the skin off the peppers or leave it on. My family chooses to leave it on.
- What my family does is let everyone assemble their own salad versus making it in one big bowl. If you do it that way, make a little assembly line on a counter starting with lettuce, chicken, peppers, then the corn and bean salad. If you want to just combine everything in a bowl, go ahead, that’s perfect too. Enjoy!
Picture coming next time I have it for dinner 😉